As we approach our summer monsoon season here in Arizona, it’s time to inspect your roof -or have a home inspector inspect it for you- to make sure you are ready for the storms and the extreme heat. In the Prescott area the rains are more prevalent (and steady) than in the Phoenix area (where there can be lots of dust storms and winds, followed by a little or a lot of rain). In either case you want your roof to do what it is designed to do, and we want to give you a few tips to help.
Whether your roof is tile, asphalt shingles, or metal there are things to look for and repair or replace as needed:
- Broken tiles
- Missing, broken or buckling shingles
- Peeling paint under the overhangs
- Rusty flashing on the roof
- Trees or shrubs hitting the roof – clear all branches away from roof
- Clogged gutters
- Evidence of dampness inside the house around windows or fireplace
- Dark patches (moisture) on the ceilings
- Water stains on ceiling or walls
If you notice any of these things you may want to hire a roofing company to come take a closer look to determine if a quick repair is all that is needed to protect your home from future damage. Contrary to what some people believe, your roof will not last forever. While the tiles on the roof may last a long time, the underlayments still needs to be replaced every 15 years or so. Annual inspections will certainly help you maintain your existing roof in our harsh Arizona summers.