It has been one year since we relocated to Prescott, Arizona – but it seems like just yesterday that we sold our Scottsdale home. Most of the home inspections we do are for home BUYERS, but you will see the number one item on this list is to get a PRE-LISTING inspection done by a certified home inspector (like us!). But there are other things you can do as well to prepare your home to get top dollar. Let’s take a look.
- Home Inspection. YES, hire a home inspector to help head off any surprises when you do get a buyer. The National Association of Realtors says that over 75% of buyers will hire a home inspector to look at the house they are interested in. Why not hire someone yourself and then fix the items you can before you get surprised by the buyers inspector. You may have to disclose items you find, but those items will most likely be found anyway, so don’t give the buyers any more ammunition to negotiate the price.
- Pay attention to the curb appeal. Clean up the yard and hire a professional landscaper if needed to trim trees and bushes. If the house needs painting then get that done – it will pay for itself. At least give the front door a new paint or varnish coat. Sweep off patios and courtyards, and get a few potted plants or flowers for the front entry, along with a nice welcome mat.
- Clean and paint inside – Clean or replace carpet and hard floors as needed. If you have a taste for wild colors on the walls, you may want to consider painting them a neutral color for the sale. We even had our kitchen cabinets painted to give them an updated look. Well worth the price.
- Organize – De-clutter all closets and cabinets. Then when you get that done make sure you do the same for garages and basements. We became very well known at our local thrift shops and Goodwill stores! Donate or toss stuff that will not make the move with you. Trust me, it feels good.
- Stage the home – Finally, it is time to stage the home so it shows well. Often your agent will help you with this detail, but you may also consider hiring a professional home stager if you can (depends on the price range of home you are trying to sell). I had a couple neighbors who were great decorators come into the house to give me honest feedback and ideas to help it show better (and we are still friends!).
Good luck with the process, and if we can help just give us a call. Even if you just have a question that you want to ask a home inspection expert. We are here to help.